Generating authenticated links in Bb
Links generated using this method will authenticate seamlessly without asking student to log in using their TCC Borrower ID number.
First, navigate to the content area where you wish to insert the link. Under the Tools menu, select "Links to Library Content."
Next, enter the title you want to identify with the linked content. Enter the URL or persistant URL (see instructions below for generating a PURL).
The best way to provide your students with access to specific articles is through a persistent link, or PURL. These links will provide consistent access to a specific article without violating copyright restrictions.
Because access to these articles require authentication, the URL found in your browser window will rarely link you back to that article. Instead, you must generate a PURL. Follow the guidelines below to generate your own PURLs or contact your liaison librarian - we're happy to help!
- Log into your favorite database and locate an article.
- Notice the PURL - this could be called a "permalink" or "persistent URL"
- If the URL includes db28.linccweb.org, you may insert this URL into your assignment or the "Links to Library Content" tool within Blackboard. If the URL does not include this information you'll need to generate your own URL.
- To generate a new URL, go to Linking to LINCCWeb.
- Select College (Tallahassee) and Create Link to (Specific Journal Article). Paste the URL from your database article.
- Click: Generate Link
- Copy the URL that appears in LINCCWeb Generated URL box. This URL may now be inserted in your assignment or the "Links to Library Content" tool within Blackboard.